Quote:

PS: This rant about quality reminds me: remember HP's old calculators? They keys (usually) had two shift modes. I learned recently that the keys were molded in extremely complex dies with 3 colors of plastic. The information on the keys was not painted, it was actually molded in! Talk about outrageous. As the keys wear, the key remains perfectly legible. Another example of top shelf quality.

I had a chance to talk to HP's recuiters at the time I graduated. One of the props he passed around to the class were the individual plastic shots used to make those same keys. I may be misremembering, but there were three "trees" they all nested together and the key body shot around them. Only after a full set of keys were complete were they parted off. Any partial filling of any of the trees was a rejection.

The main reason they went to that much trouble was that none of the, then current, marking materials would stay on the keys long term. Now days the letters are fused deeply enough into the surface of the key that wear is less of a problem than other causes of device mortatility.

Those were the great days of HP equipment. It was all bullet proof. I still have my HP-25 calculator. Yes it has the co-molded buttons.