AutoIt (v3) is pretty much a BASIC-style scripting language with built-in functionality to manipulate windows, the keyboard and the mouse, in addition to some more normal stuff like files, etc. No recording ability.

I've been able to use it to do what I want. My only wish in fact would be for it to support windows messages which I don't think it does (you can only interact with a window when it is visible and you can't send a mouse event message, but only a real mouse click (requiring the window to also be active)).

For my little project I'm using control commands (target a specific window control like a button and tell it to "click"), keyboard events (send a key to current window or specific control, like edit box or list box), and mouse events (calculate and specify coordinates where clicking should occur - this requires that the destination not be obstructed). A bunch of error checking is needed to make sure the proper window is active before doing certain things (often involving waiting for that window to be active just to make sure).

Bruno