You can do all that stuff with any number of programs, including the software that comes with Hauppage cards, Cyberlink's PVR software, ATI's Multimedia Center, etc... That doesn't mean they're anything like TiVo.

MythTV is over-engineered but underdeveloped. TiVo is as much about interface as it is about content. And its data content, thanks to Tribune Media Services, is 14 days worth - there's a big difference between that and 8. But the data volume is not what I had in mind when I made the comparisons.

I supose you have to use both to fully appreciate what I'm talking about. And that's the reason why most consumers take the otherwise crappy PVR solutions from their providers, simply becauuse they're told "it's just like TiVo" - not knowing the difference and how far from the truth that statement could possibly be.

TiVo was made for use on a Television. Every minute of using MythTV shows it was conceived on a computer display. I'm not saying much of MythTV's faults can't be remedied. But they do exist, in spades, with a stock/standard setup. You'd have to get deep into customization to make it clean, lean and fit well in a typical living room.

Bruno