Quote:
I am running Adaware 6.0 with the latest update file.

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. I was extremely frustrated last night. I can't figure out how it was happening. There didn't seem to be any process running, or any indication of where a process might be invoked.

I've had IE open now for about 7 hours and there hasn't been a popup.

I guess I got lucky with the SP2 install, but I did get rid of everything I could find first.

Jim

This version of AD-Aware doesn't get updates anymore, you need to download AD-Aware SE 1.05 and always download the updated definition file manually if you think your machine is infected. Always set AD-Aware to do a complete scan. I have see the host file spyware hacks and they tend to set a registry value on bootup to change the location of were the host file should be.

McAfee will also can for some spyware but you need to enable the scan for "Unwanted Programs" option.

I have a boot CD that has Spy-bot, Ad-Aware SE, McAfee 7, AVG and some other tools on it that I use when trying to clean someone elses machine. I boot up the CD and run the scans, then once it has removed and cleaned everything I then install AD-Aware SE one the machine and have it do a complete scan again as this will find all the registry hijacks.

If the machine is running XP installing SP2 is a must and going thru the "Manage Add-ons" in IE helps a lot. I try to get most of them to run Firefox but most have kids and they just don't seem to listen.