can you at least get it to recognize the Empeg via the serial port?
No, 'cos I haven't got a serial cable adaptor...

Thought you said you did in the other thread...

First: You need to know your Mac's IP address
Where can I find this?
and whether it's a fixed address or if it gets the address from a DHCP server
How can I find out?

I've got NO idea, since I know nothing about macs. MComb?

(Didn't realise you had to have a computer science degree to own a car stereo!!)

You are right... it was designed to simply work when you plug it into the USB port... of a windows computer...

Where's the light supposed to be? I'm using a crossover cable, and I've also tried a reguar ethernet cable.

There's a pretty blue one on the back of the Empeg (oddly, it's next to the USB port rather than the ethernet port, but it is the ethernet link light). On the Mac, I don't know where it is- but most computers have a small green LED somewhere near the plug. It's possible that the Mac doesn't implement a hardware link-light and it's in software, appearing somewhere on the macintosh screen. Anyway, that's the first step, making sure you have a link light.

Secondly, there's no network as such - I 'm just sat at home with my laptop.

Okay, then you're not running DHCP. Interestingly enough, if you were to plug in your Empeg at work, everything would probably magically start working because DHCP would be active at your work, you might wanna give that a try just for fun.

Okay, for your home system...

Okay, let's try something. Hopefully using the serial cable adapter and Virtual PC, use the Emplode to program to connect to the Empeg player. Use the "Configure player" option to set the player to be on the fixed IP address of 10.1.1.1, with a netmask of 255.255.255.0 and leave the gateway blank.

Then, on your Mac, find out where to put in your ethernet settings. Then tell it to be 10.1.1.2 with the 255.255.255.0 netmask and leave the gateway blank.

Reboot everybody, including the player (important after changing IP address stuff).

Run your Java Emplode program and see if it'll see the Empeg at 10.1.1.1.

You can do the same with the ethernet settings in Windows with the VirtualPC software, I think. It's possible that the virtualPC software will be smart and pull its ethernet settings from the mac.

Anyway, this fixed-IP stuff might screw up some other existing settings on your network, so be prepared to write down all your existing settings so you can change them back once we're sure this works at all. This is just an experiment to see if everything is functioning. If we can get this far, then later we'll worry about integrating it into your home network with the airport and everything.