I cant think of any other techie toy I own that has created such a virtual community and online conversation.

I was actually lucky to find a second one. There's a BBS called the "Home Theater Spot" whose clientele are of a similar caliber to the ones found here. I'm occasionally involved in their section regarding Mitsubishi big-screen televisions. The down side is that the Mits folk don't participate in that BBS.

As an example of the high quality of that BBS:

There's a problem with certain models of Mits TV sets that results in two faint artifacts appearing on the screen, commonly known as "raster ringing" and "wavy lines". Mitsubishi has tried sending their techs out to apply multiple different fixes to customer's sets, and only resulted in a reduction of the problem, not a complete solution.

A couple of the BBS users figured out a proper fix for the problem. Turns out it was a simple ground loop in the wiring, and the fix literally was to unplug some ground wires and connect them to a different ground wire. The fix is so simple that Gomer Pyle could do it in ten minutes.

Anyway, I think it's neat that the Web, combined with BBS software, has enabled user communities like these. Once upon a time, you had to dial up a BBS directly with your modem, making most BBS's a very local phenomenon. Now this information can be shared all over the world, but without the S/N problems of Usenet. I think it's great.