Okay, I hate this...

I've got an MP3 file that I did not rip myself (don't ask, it's an embarassing one). It's got an incorrect tag that I want to update.

So I pop it into the new version of WinAmp. Winamp shows that it's only got a V1 tag, so I correct that and save it.

But in the WinAmp playlist and scrolling text, the song information is still wrong, even after I exit and restart WinAmp. So I give it a V2 tag with the correct info and it works.

Then I try removing the V2 tag and leaving the corrected V1 tag. Bad song info reappears in the playlist/scroll.

Looking at the file in a binary editor, we see some LYRICSBEGIN and LYRICSEND text just before the V1 tag, which contains the offending data.

So what I find odd is that WinAmp's own tag editor wouldn't recognize/remove/edit this extra data, but the Mpeg decoder (which is responsible for populating the playlist screen and the scroll) does recognize this informaiton.

Just a heads-up for anyone struggling with V1/V2 tag issues, not all software supports V2 tags the same way.