Frank, are you busy with a PPP serial link by any chance?

Kinda, I finally found a way to talk to the empeg over USB on win32 using the empegcar.sys driver. I know it should be possible to start PPP this way, but then I would have to write a virtual dialup-adapter or at least a virtual comm-port, which seems out of reach for me...
I'm going to take a simpler approach by list for TCP/UDP ports on the win32 machine which get forwarded to the empeg. I currently have a program which listens on port 80 on the windows machine. when I log in to the empeg over serial and give command :

# cat /dev/usb

and then start a webbrowser to point to http://localhost, I can see the request from the webbrowser scroll by in hyperterm. My next step is to write a daemon for the empeg with some simple multiplexing protocol. The main idae is to run a small program on the win32 side with a simple dialog to make mappings from TCP/UDP on the win32 machine to the empeg :

win32:TCP/1080 -> empeg:TCP/80 //displayserver
win32:TCP/21 -> empeg:TCP/21 //ftp passive mode
win32:TCP/8300 -> empeg:TCP/8300 //emplode
win32:UDP/8300 -> empeg:UDP/8300 //emplode

The only problem is that the player app is constantly using the USB device-file, which is why I asked if the player app on the MK1 also uses TCP/UDP. If this is the case, you could turn off USB in the player app and connect by specifying 127.0.0.1 in emplode...

Frank van Gestel