my mate has a bandpass, and it rox. Another one has a closed box, doesnt sound as good in my oppinion.

You're caught in the conflict between SPL and SQ. (Sound Pressure Level and Sound Quality)

By definition, maximizing your SPL means to get the maximum number of decibels of sound pressure out of your system. For this, a band pass box is best.

Maximizing your SQ means to make the music sound as much like the original performance as possible. (or at least like the recording engineer's opinion of what it sounded like :-) For this, a sealed enclosure is best.

My overwhelming preference is for SQ, but that is not to suggest that an SPL preference is in any way less appropriate. Different strokes and all that...

If you want hard, punchy bass to impress your friends, go with the band pass box. If you want music that you can listen to and enjoy on a long road trip, go with the sealed box.

With the band pass box, you will have to make choices (box volume, number of ports, port orientation and total port area) to determine the enhanced frequency. With the sealed box you will have to determine optimum volume for your speaker(s) of choice. All of these choices can be determined from the information that comes with your speakers.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"