Rob, after reading your and Mark's posts, I'm starting to think that the hassle factor must be dependent on which border crossing is used. I go up to Canada about once a year and usually cross out in northern Idaho or Washington state into British Columbia. The Canadian border patrol have been everything from a glance and a 'welcome' to a full car search (although that time it was five guys with ski gear in an overpacked Montero) with a phone call asking lots of questions to someplace unknown (Ever commit a crime? Ever been convicted of a crime? If so, what? etc...). Those with DUI's had to pay a fee (~$250) in order to enter (two of our party), since they didn't have some waiver on file (which allows entry to felons) with Canada.

On the flip side I was given a 25 minute lecture by a US border guard about not travelling with my passport, that a driver's license wasn't really proof of anything etc. etc... then they let me through; almost made me miss my plane out of Spokane.

So I think your experience will always vary. It does seem however, that the rules are changing December 31, 2005, according to the US Department of State. After that US and CA citizens will need their passports. No more pledge raids to Montreal for my old frat it seems.

My guess is that the increase in non-passport hassle is a lead-in to this rule change to get people used to it (no basis in fact for my opinion).

-Zeke

[edited for typos]

Edited by Ezekiel (03/07/2005 14:25)