My wife just got a brand new Dell Inspiron 600m. We got the higher-resolution 1400x1050 display (14.1" diagonal). I measure it to be 125dpi, although the machine came configured, from Dell, at 120dpi, which is almost a standard Windows configuration. With some digging, I managed to find a half-way decent blog post about how one might normally go about configuring this stuff correctly, although it appears that Dell, in fact, did configure it this way out of the box.

So far, things mostly work, with the glaring exception of the System Tray. All of those little bitmap icons were unceremoniously scaled up, and the results are almost ugly enough to make me want to force the whole computer back to the standard 96dpi, but I think the otherwise larger text is a real feature. What I want is a way to force the System Tray to render the icons nice and tiny and otherwise leave things in their enlarged state. Any idea how to do this? Any other hacks out there? There seems to be a chorus of "well, maybe it's fixed in Longhorn", but that doesn't do me a whole lot of good...