Now we're back to the old "previewing the tune on two different pieces of equipment" problem.
-----

Didn't realize that comparing the sound of an original audio cd, on the equipment it was meant to be played, against the endoced resultes played on and empeg was such a Hot topic.

I wasn't carping about the player. I was reporting a lack of success on getting an acceptable conversion for a unique track. The specific problem being either, a whacky left right encoding, or a lack of spatial (left-right) resolution.

All I really meant to say was that this track played on a cheap portable cd player and headphones, evidenced a level of spatial resolution that I couldn't come close to replicating on the player.

My conversion attempts did go the the extreem of bitrates and to using both stereo and jstereo.
Stereo merged the chanels too much. Jstereo on the other hand had strong channel seperation, but failed to meet the challenges of this track. It simply could not deal with three differently pitched audio sources (high siren, male vocal, and guitar rif). Jstereo seemed to lock in on the fenquencies of the strongest source untill some other source overwhelemed it, then there was a dramatic shift left or right.

Time for a technical question. I'm not sure where this question will lead. Is it possible to rip the channels individually, then recombine them? In other words, can the encoder be prevented from any kind of channel mixing? Do encoders do that, mix the streams?

G_E_N
_L_N >encoder > GLENN