Quote:
The very thing that brought Google to the top ... was the way their search engine brought the most truly relevant results to the top

Brought, sadly past tense. I hope andy is right that the current result polution is good compared to what it could be. Are they being crushed by their own popularity, or are they to busy taking over the internet with admittedly excelent service ideas to extend their advertising model?

lectric, thankfully Google Groups has regained its senses (when the old version was removed, its results were terrible for a while). For computing error messages, Google Groups is beyond phenominal. And you can avoid "for sale" and "shareware" posts using group-specific searches WITH wildcards!

matthew_k, sad but true that Google is useless for consumer product information anymore. I've long since given up on consumer product anything on Google Web, relying on sites I found in the good old days (dpreview.com, etc).