It's possible I'm reading this wrong, but I was speaking from the standpoint of having the empeg read the codes and either have it display them for reprogramming on the display, or giving you the option to reprogram the unit itself.

I see what you mean, but I doubt the empeg/rio people will implement this kind of feature; They would be overwhelmed by bug-reports from people trying to get their remotes to work, a functionality they cannot support. I'm afraid everything involving non-empeg hardware is third-party material. Another option would be the software-plugin for the empeg software, which was supposed to be one of the future features of the empeg software announced some time ago.

I was NOT thinking of fixing the frequency issue. Personally I feel that falls under 'broken' hardware, even if that isn't an accurate description.

The empeg can read all ir-frequencies ( I suppose ). the ir-device can be set up in raw mode, where it returns all raw ir-data. Every remote I tried gave some kind of output. They filter out specific codes for the kenwood/rio remote ( and apparently also pioneer ) and they are returned through /dev/ir with the right repeat-rate, etc...

Frank van Gestel