I have HIDs in my car and I hate them.

There's no doubt that there's a huge problem with SUVs, headlights being just one of them, and there are a huge number of people out there with simply misaligned headlights. But HIDs are a major player in this, too. I needed my headlights to be neither more white nor more bright. I could see just fine with my old headlights. Now I drive around all the time blinding people because there's no difference in the intensity of dim lights and bright lights, only the direction. And if the road in front of me is lower than the line marked out by the wheels of my car, my dim lights, which are now as bright as the brights, point straight into the car in front of me.

Quote:
Real HID systems are electronically leveled - so they don't get out of whack and point upwards into peoples cars

If, by this, you mean that the headlights won't get out of everyday alignment and work like a searchlight, then yeah. That is an advantage. Not one that couldn't have been put into non-HID lights, though. If you mean that the lights are supposed to remain level, then that's just wrong. If I go up a hill, that would mean that the lights would be pointed way down at the road, and if I go up a hill, it means that the lights would be pointed towards the sky. None of that is helpful.

Add onto all of that that I can't flash my headlights anymore since I've either got to wait a second or so for the lights to move to the bright position, which may or may not seem any brighter to anyone, or I've got to wait for the lights to power up, which also takes a second or so, and I've got a system that is worse in basically all aspects than what we had before. Actually, I suppose that the bulbs will burn out less often, but they cost way more, so you trade inconvenience for expense.