Quote:
So random paint strokes on a piece of paper (which is considered art nowadays) has real, tangible value, but not things like hammers, rifles, shovels, computers, cars, technology, and certificates of partial ownership of companies that provide these things

I don't know why I'm bothering to respond, but yes.

People desire art. And art is well more than "random paint strokes on a piece of paper", as you well know. Have you ever paid money to see a concert or a movie? If so, you've disproved your own point. Even if you haven't, you cannot deny that a huge number of people do, in addition to buying books and fine art, and watching TV, and whatever else it is that people do that has no tangible gain. As someone once said, art is everything you do that doesn't help you live.

And the idea that you will ever see the assets of the company you own stock in exactly the thing that I'm arguing doesn't happen. In addition, if you're arguing that the real value of a company is tied up in the physical things it owns, I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you. You know that computer that you paid $1000 for three years ago? How much is it worth now?

Edited by wfaulk (23/03/2006 14:09)