Quote:
street purity of meth has gone down and [as a result] fewer people die

Quote:
If it was cheap and legal, it would kill more people and destroy more lives than it does now. There's just no way to argue that legalized meth is a good public policy.

Club tweakers don't generally cause too many problems. It's mostly the destitute inner city and rural folks who do, and they did when they were high before meth became the societal malady du jour. That would imply that it's the people that are the problem, not the drug. I'm not going to get into what should be done about the people other than to say that I think their destitute state is a large part of the problem and something should be done about that.

But, to speak to your point, if lowering the purity of meth means it costs fewer lives, and the government can produce it cheap and legally, they can also produce it with lower purity, and probably regulate that the filler also be non-toxic, which I'm sure is not a guarantee now. If that were to happen, there would largely be no need to produce it illegally. It's not like you hear about moonshiners and people dying of methanol poisoning any more.