Pioneer 106S DVD

I have this exact drive in my PIII800 desktop and it works well for audio ripping. With the SSE enhanced LAME encoder set to VBR 1 and the drive, I can get 5x ripping speeds, with no problems. I haven't tested the max of the drive, since I do all my encoding at the same time as ripping. But with your 1000 processor, it should be fine as well for realtime ripping.

And as far as overclocking, don't bother. I saw a huge boost running my Celeron 300 at 450. But running your 1000 at 1100 or so is not worth the trouble. And running an 800/100 at higher speeds, almost the same thing. Probably best that you just get a slightly faster official chip these days.

Oh, and if you are planning on running DVD movies on the system, I'd recommend an ATI Radeon card. While it may not be the absolute best at games, it still flys there, and gives me great quality DVD for my 27 inch monitor without needing a seperate DVD decoder card or the really high end software.

And for the memory, get CAS2 latency with the price of memory these days.

I just checked out the motherboard at ABits' site, looks fairly standard. One recommendation though. If your going Intel for the chip and aren't interested in overclocking, I'd recommend looking into an Intel board too. The combination has given me a rock solid PC. And some neet features too like floppyless Windows executing BIOS flash programs. (It does a trick where it goes to shutdown 2000, kicks most of it out of memory, then does the flash and reboots. Very sweet). Plus mine came with onboard LAN, elliminating the need for me to go buy another NIC. I have the Intel D815EEA. While you probably won't use the onboard video or audio of it (I got the processor and board as a very cheap package deal), they can always be disabled. Looking at the current Intel boards, they also have ones with the 815EP chipset, meaning no onboard video and probably a lower cost.