EAC set to http://freedb2.org:80/~cddb/cddb.cgi works for me

I absolutely could not figure out how to change my EAC database lookup until Attack kindly showed me how in a PM:

Run EAC and press F12

However... in the process of trying to figure it out, I came up with a solution that may be even better than freedb2.

It's a little bit of a kluge, in that you have to start another program and keep it running while you use EAC, but after that it is completely transparent.

The program is called "Player", it is available as a free download here and is tied to the Gracenote database.

Once you have downloaded and installed Player, start the program and select "File/Export Info" and choose cdplayer.ini. That will set cdplayer.ini as the default. Then, in EAC, go to "Database/Get CD Information From" and again choose cdplayer.ini. That will set cdplayer.ini as the default. You only have to do those things once, then they're set forever, or until you change them to something else.

Now, you're all set. As long as the Player program is running, it will go to Gracenote every time you put a CD in your computer, and put the information from the Gracenote database into cdplayer.ini, where EAC will grab it.

I just finished ripping/encoding about 20 CDs with EAC/LAME, and found the quality of the information from Gracenote to be far better than freedb in terms of accuracy, lack of duplicate entries, and above all lack of typographical errors.

Just thought you'd like to know...

tanstaafl.