Ok, so I only have myself and my wife but I'm looking to work with the wondeful tax system we have here in the good ol' US of A.

Here's my problem: When I travel for work, I make a little extra income. This extra income places me in a higher tax bracket, thus I actually don't make much of the extra income. Let's say, as an example, I add an extra $1000. I may see $250-$300 of that, if that much. I'm wanting to change, just for the pay period where the extra income is paid, my number of dependents to say 3 or 4. I don't actually have that many dependents, obviously. After the pay period is over and my salary is back to normal, I would change my dependents back to 1 or 0.

My question is this: Is this legal? I've looked through the tax laws at the irs.gov site but I can't find anything. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction? Everything I seem to find is dealing with the number of dependents you claim on your tax return, which for me will not change. I'm only looking to change it during a pay period.