I finally got my safety razor yesterday and shaved with it last night. So far (one shave), I really like it.

My first impression was that it was much smaller than I was expecting.

My second impression was that it was incredibly sharp. Obviously, this has to do with the blade I put in it (also Merkur -- ordered ten with the razor, plus it came with one), but I expected to have a hard time getting through the four or five days of beard I had. It cut through it without any effort at all.

My next impression was that it was really fast. It seemed like I shaved in half the time that it normally takes me. This might have to do with the fact that I regularly go for four or five days without shaving and the new razors ability to not be affected by that.

My next impression was that it shaved really closely without irritating my skin. I didn't use anything fancy to shave with, just the same gel and witch hazel I usually use.

I did notice that I didn't shave under my nose well. This morning I figured out how to get the large head directly underneath my nose without slicing my lip open. I found that the best way was to push up on my nostril with the top of the razor until I got the blade above the mustache.

I didn't do such a great job on my neck and throat, but that's always been a problem area for me; my beard grows in circles there.

On the other hand, I was assured that I would cut myself the first time I used it. I did not.

Anyway, so far, I'm really happy. I'll have to see how it goes long-term.