Quote:
I especially like the fact that everyone in the media is looking for a scapegoat since about 10 minutes after it happened. How 'bout just blaming the gunman, hmm?

In a semi-related story...

In 1957 a subsidiary of Pillage Products procured a permit to construct a metalworks factory in the town of Corndog, Oklahoma to manufacture premium knives -- carving knives, throwing knives, et cetera. As construction was completed and knife production ramped up, citizens of Corndog observed that the "factory" was no much more than a huge tin shed. They stormed to the mayor's office asking "Doesn't Pillage know this is tornado country??? That factory is a safety hazard!" To which the Mayor responded "I brought this up with Pillage, but they said that if the town messed with their building permit, they'd hit us with a constitutional lawsuit -- something about the 2nd, 8th or 10th Amendment, 'personal freedom' and 'a taking'. The town can ill afford that. Besides, I'm planning on installing a new tornado siren soon and Pastor Rodney Flash of the First Absolute Church of Corndog has promised that he is going to beef up the church basement to serve as a tornado shelter." The citizens departed, grumbling.

As fate would have it, the Mayor and the Pastor departed the next day for a business development seminar in Oklahoma City.

As luck would have it, no sooner had they settled in at the Motel 6 in OK City when a huge tornado touched down in Corndog. the tornado swept across the Pillage factory, ripped the flimsy roof off and sucked up every knife from the factory floor and loading dock. The tornado then spit out all of the knives in a fair imitation of an AC-130 gunship. Save for the absent Mayor and Pastor, all 2432 residents of Corndog were killed.

Hearing this news early the next morning, the Mayor and Pastor abandoned the seminar and drove furiously back to Corndog at speeds, say some, in excess of 91MPH. But the OK City satellite news trucks were already in place at Town Hall when they arrived. As they de-SUVed, the Mayor and Pastor were assaulted with a strident, screeching cacaphony of questions from the pack of rabid media wolves:

What about the flimsy factory???

What about the tornado siren???

What about the tornado shelter???

To which they Mayor adroitly responded: "I think we need to examine the tornado's responsibility here!!"

And which the Pastor quickly seconded: "You can rest assured that tornado is burning in Hell."

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.