Quote:
I'll be glad when all our devices are in HD and we can switch back to just having a receiver switch seamlessly between all devices instead of using multiple inputs on the TV.

The latest upconverting receivers are perilously close to getting this right. Still, if your TV has the appropriate video switch inside it and you don't need ten gigawatts per channel or something, then the Harmony remote lets you get away with a simpler, cheaper receiver.

I wonder if a Harmony could be cobbled together to support the kludge I was using in grad school. My TV had one S-Video input, which I was feeding from my S-VHS VCR (no DVD players were yet on the market). My roommate's PlayStation-1 also had a S-Video output, which I routed through the S-Video input of the VCR (which, sadly, had to tune to channel 3 to get its input from the awful, mandatory cable box). This meant that selecting video inputs happened by tweaking the VCR while selecting audio inputs happened from the receiver (which had composite video switching, but not S-Video). We got by with a learning remote, but it would have been completely unusable for anybody visiting us.