Or, you can do what I did. Take home the office's old HP 4+ laserjet, and then offer to take "all that old toner no one needs any more". I've have the 4 for at least three years, and I'm still on the first toner cartridge (which wasn't full in the first place). When that goes, I've got at least two more. The thing has a network card, and it's just plain solid. I was worried that it was burning a lot of electricity, but I put my kill-a-watt on it, and it might cost a dollar or two to have it on all year when it's sleeping, which is well worth it for nearly free, reliable, high quality, pretty fast printing.

We bought a brother multi function inkjet for faxing and scanning, and we've never bothered to buy more ink for it after the ink ran out. We love it for one feature, and that's scanning to a compact flash card, which is brilliant. You take your cf card over, tell it to scan to a PDF, TIFF or JPG, and it puts it directly on the card. So much less hassle than dealing with crummy scanner drivers when you only want to scan one thing every few months.

I'd love to upgrade to a color laserjet and a high quality document scanner, but I'm just too cheap.

Matthew