I have set up my unit with an external USB-Ethernet adaptor. It is one of the supported ones, and it appears to be recognised by the unit. This setup is connected to an ASUS NAT router connected to ADSL broadband. On the LAN side, I can ping the unit at the static address I have assigned it: I get an ICMP response so it knows the way back to me.

I set it up so that it would automatically maintain the time from the Web NTP server pool, which it appears to do: proof of this is that it used to drift by about up to 4 minutes a month, and now it synchronises to the same time as the ASUS router, which is also pointing at the pool and with which it now matches the correct time.

My conclusion: the unit can see the web through the router, and it's IP connection is properly configured.

When I first set this up CDDB lookup to GraceNote worked fine. I had a lot of outstanding unnamed albums queued up, which it immediately found and named. As far as I can remember, this has been working OK until recently (about the last 2 months or so). I am pretty sure I have not changed settings, or set any filters on the router. I say, as far as I REMEMBER.....

So, here's the problem: whenever I insert a new CD for RIP, the screen first says "Reading CD" as usual, displays the "What do you want to do...?" dialogue, and when asked to Record, it starts the lookup by displaying "Performing internet lookup" and showing the Gracenote logo (I might not be remembering this 100%, so have patience with me!).

There is then a long pause (obviously a timeout), whereupon I get "Internet Lookup Failed", and the recording proceeds with Unamed Album, Unamed Artist (so there's nowt wrong with recording).

So, before I start ripping things to bits to diagnose this:

1) Has something changed at GraceNote?
2) As a consequence of 1), is anyone seeing the same problem at the moment, or am I on my own (TM)?
3) Any ideas about what I should look at first (port numbers in filters on the router, etc).

If GraceNote ever refused lookup permission on the unit, is it possible to point the unit to, say, FreeDB instead? Can this be configured in memory?

Any help/ideas appreciated,

The Helpless One.
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015