Quote:
Quote:

While this is understandable, we were addressing Jim's question, which states that this is exactly how he wants it to act. So all he has to tell them is that when that message comes up, just don't do anything.

Sorry my friend. I didn't mean to dis Tivo. I like them and would have no other type DVR.

It's just that I have some experience seeing my "Old Folks" attempting to deal with a Tivo. Their youth predates things like the ballpoint pen, computers, and television.

Basically anything with a multi level menu system is going to fail the "Magic TV" challenge.

Yeah, not sure the Magic TV exists. I have had a Tivo and liked it, but I sold it when I decided to reduce my cable subscription to the $13 Seattle basic (broadcast channels, CBC and Discovery Channel essentially).

Add to the Old Folks factor the fact that one of them is losing vision to the point that he can hardly make out a digital clock with 2-inch-high digits a foot away and the other has gotten to where she has almost zilch short-term memory -- might not know if it is 7AM or 7PM. So I call and am sad to hear that they *think* the Red Sox are on, but can't find it. Need big green button.

My very dear sister is willing to try new things, but even then I wonder whether she could hack programming a Tivo. Also, to Doug's points about Tivo "Season Pass" features, my experience was that the Pass features weren't too fine-grained -- might give them *all* the baseball.

It might seem silly, but I am actually going to talk with my sister about paying extra to have one of the facility's staff drop by 5-6 times a week to turn on Red Sox, Patriots, BC, golf, etc.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.