Quote:
I'd buy a suitably-weighted Bosch or DeWalt any day of the week

Here! Here!

I use a Bosch 24v at work, had it about 5 years now and it's still going strong. This thing takes some SERIOUS abuse too! The newer models supplied at work are DeWalt, also a good bit of kit, but harder to handle than the Bosch, but it does pack a bigger punch.

In my experience cheapest is dearest, I think my Bosch was in the £500 region when new but has easily paid for itself, it's never needed a service and is in regular use. Battery life is good (I have 3 just to make sure!) and charge times are pretty quick.

We did use 12v Makita's for a while but they didn't last. I think it was more the application than the drill, we drill 8mm eyebolts into brick all day long and the 12v models just don't cut it.

If you do go for a higher voltage model make sure it's got a clutch fitted (cheaper models often don't), if it gets caught on a wall tie for example it can near break your wrist. We have a guy at work who did that and it ripped the tendon off his little finger, he can't use it now!

Edit - When buying Bosch the general rule is if it's green it's s@!t, if it's blue it's worth the money, just an observation with buying Bosch gear.

Cheers

Cris.

Edited by Cris (14/10/2007 14:57)