My Windows 2000 machine at work randomly disappears an reappears the My Computer, Recycle Bin, and Network Neighborhood icons. The changes are triggered when I save something to the desktop; one of said icons disappears and is replaced by what I saved. Eventually, another addition/removal of desktop items will make the icon reappear.

I probably hurt the machine from always testing and experimenting on it. But still annoying.

On my work Windows XP machines, deployed via Ghost, the very specific arrangement of icons would be reset to alphabetical order. This only happened once, when booting on the user's 1280x1024 LCD after having finalized the Ghosted image on a 1024x768 LCD. I work around it by setting the resolution to 1280x1024 while still on the 15" LCD before deploying it.

Not that either of these are relevant, but maybe someone else will be curious about desktop icon rearranging. After the aforementioned Win98 rearrange-upon-crash burning me constantly, I gave up on desktop icons all together.