The situation is even worse for laptop owners. My friend has an older Dell laptop, marketed as a gaming machine. It still has a decent 6800 Go card in it, but he has yet to find a driver version that allows him to play all the games he wants now. Dell stopped releasing drivers for it a while back, so he has to resort to "hacked" INF tricks to try and get drivers to even function. He got so frustrated over the situation that he stopped using the system for a while.

I really wish ATI was providing better competition to NVidia these days. While everyone always thought of ATI drivers as crappy, I've generally had little problems with them, and have probably seen more NVidia driver issues now with systems at work then I ever saw with ATI.

Of course, their split attention between XP and Vista probably isn't helping. I really have to wonder if PC gaming is really worth it at times these days. It's almost getting back to the dark days of DOS with having to worry about exact driver versions and DirectX updates not sent down via Microsoft Update. I think if more console games go the route of UT3 for the PS3 and allow a keyboard and mouse, more and more gamers may jump ship to the consoles.