I'm in need of a new soldering iron. But I'm not really a soldering expert, so I don't quite know what I'm talking about. After a week or so of searching, I've come to some conclusions, but I'd like some feedback from someone who actually knows what they're talking about.

Here are the models that have reached my short list:

Hakko 936ESD
Hakko seems to be a reputable brand with a good reputation, so it should last a decent amount of time and might have parts available into the future. It's a 60W iron with a ceramic heater that has a 392°F - 896°F (200°C - 480°C) temperature range. I can get this iron for $95.

Hakko 937
This seems to be the same iron as the 936, but it has a digital readout. Neat, but as it goes for about $211, I don't think it's that neat.

Edsyn 951SX
Edsyn seems also to be a well-respected reputable brand. It's a 95W iron with a ceramic heater and a 400°F - 800°F (205°C - 427°C) temperature range. I can find this one for $115.

Xytronic 137ESD
This seems to be a Taiwanese knockoff of the Hakko 937, albeit a well-reviewed knockoff. It has the same ceramic heating element and can supposedly take the same tips. It's also 60W and has a temperature range of 392°F - 896°F (200°C - 480°C). I can find this for about $80. They also make a knockoff of the Hakko 936, but it seems to sell for more, so why not get the cool digital readout?

Xytronic 379
This has actually mostly fallen off of my radar, but it's what I started with before I bait-and-switch-ed myself. It's again got the same ceramic heating element as the other Xytronic and Hakko models, but it's only a 45W iron. Its got a 500°F - 850°F (250°C - 450°C) temperature range. The great thing about this one is that it's only $50. But I'm uncomfortable with the low power rating.

--

I've mostly dismissed Weller, as the only units they have in my (largely undefined) price range seem to be worse than the competition; they have fewer features and worse nichrome heating elements. It seems that people who recommend them have two reasons: brand loyalty and ease of acquisition for spare parts (tips and such).

I would love to get a Metcal, which is what we have at work and is a joy to use, but even their cheapest model, the PS800 is $200 and the tips/cartridges they use aren't the same as for the MX500 we have at work, so I doubt that it would be even remotely as good. Pace seems to be out of my range, too.

One thing in particular I'm unsure about is lead-free soldering vs. normal. I understand that lead-free solder melts at a higher temperature, but irons that are marked as suitable for lead-free and ones that are not seem to have the same temperature ranges. Is the difference in the wattage? Suitability for running at a higher temperature for longer? I know that I'm probably unlikely to do any lead-free soldering, but I'd rather attempt to future-proof myself.

Right now I'm leaning toward the Edsyn because of the wattage, but I don't know if that's relevant at all. It also has a significantly lower max temperature than the others. I'm also open to other suggestions.

Help?