Are these wishes automatically seen by Empeg, or do I have to send this somewhere else to bring them to their attention?

They are automatically seen by Empeg. They do read this BBS and the wish list forum, and they do pay close attention. They don't always respond directly here, but rest assured that they're listening.

Your specific list of wishes, although not specifically addressed in 1.1, will be mostly handled by upcoming features in 1.1. To wit:

When I select a playlist, and the song that is currently playing is contained in that playlist, it would be nice if the player would just continue playing the current song as opposed to selecting a new one from the new playlist.

Version 1.1 will have a "search by playlist" feature, and it will also let you select the insertion mode of the searches. Instead of just "search" and "append", you'll also get "insert".

So, in 1.1, to do what you want, you simply need to select "insert by playlist", and the playlist you select will be inserted after the current song.

It'd be nice if I could mark single tracks / entire playlists as 'don't play this when shuffle mode is on'. I would use this for audio books that I have on the player. (...) 'never shuffle this playlist'

There is a way around this now, although somewhat inelegant, and 1.1 will have a more interesting way of handling it.

As I understand it, the root of your problem is the separation of books and music.

Right now, you could just create two main playlists off the root. One called "Books" and the other called "Music". When you decide you want to shuffle all your music, it's only one extra click to do it. You could even go the extra step and tag this playlist and all its subfolders as "always randomize".

In 1.1, there will be a feature called "Wendy Filters", allowing you to choose various things to include or not include. You could tag all your audio books with a Wendy flag named "book", and then create two Wendy filters: one that included only books, and one that specifically excluded books. A few clicks would select the desired filter.

In both cases, you would need to turn off shuffle yourself, but that's just one click on the remote control ("0" key).