I believe a couple of Australian cities are getting some real time traffic information via RDS. This is the mob that do it - I don't fully understand but they claim you buy an extra bit and it just "plugs in" to your existing system and they specifically mention some European car brands. Can't see how this can work. Re-reading through the website doesn't seem to have this - perhaps I misinterpreted it.

http://sunatraffic.com.au/consumer/index.html

There's no "subscription", just a once off purchase of a code it seems for the device. It's apparently encrypted somehow.

Now the frequency they list as transmitting the data is a regular radio station. When I set "TA On" in the radio menu, "TA" and "TP" light up when tuned to that station only. On other stations, the "TA" is simply "greyed out".

Should the empeg be displaying any info since it's showing the TA symbol? It's a bit hard to play with in the car where the only tuner I have is since I don't have easy access to the serial port without pulling the dash apart. Is there something in /proc I can access?

Unfortunately the BBS chokes when I try to search using RDS as the term.
#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)