Originally Posted By: mlord
Quote:
All that said, I'm sorry Mark but are you sure that file is encoded properly? VLC definitely gave me an error when opening it, but it still played afterwards. That says to me: "encoding issue."

Yeah, the real file is fine -- the sample.avi I provided is just a raw chop of the first 5MB of the real file, missing the index from the tail end etc.. which is why vlc complains (but plays it fine regardless).

I've since replaced the sample.avi file with a full/complete sample (same codecs), and vlc no longer complains about it on startup. Otherwise no difference (still need to crank down the h/w accel on my P4 Radeon box).

Recoding as WMV (both version 1 and version 2) didn't work, neither did ordinary mpeg-2. I like the format I've already coded to, as it also keeps the audio perfectly in sync.. something that other encoding options seem to bugger up.

I've sent a link for the sample.avi to the intended recipient, along with a link for the vlc installer, and asked her to try those and report back.

If all goes well, I'll burn the videos to DVD-ROM and mail them across the country.

Thanks folks!