No, I meant that what you showed is included in the markup and specifies the PNG file within the style attribute. You likely couldn't use that exact same technique with a PNG file (with alpha) used as a background image of some other element (specified in a css). I generally don't use IMG markup tags for any part of the design, but for IE6 do keep IMG styled with the alphaloader javascript behavior. That way I don't ever have to add any extra markup to get alpha to work on any image I happen to use as content. Design level graphics still need special treatment, but nothing more than the same behavior applied within the IE6-specific css.

If you were to disable styles on the template I linked to, you would get nothing but text in place of the visual design. The only images that would show up are the screen and product shots because they're content.

It's generally safe to use a javascript-based PNG alpha loader for IE6 because just about 100% of people using IE6 are also going to be running with javascript enabled. Someone's still running IE6 is likely doing so with a pretty default configuration.