Well, I think it was *MEANT* to be connected directly via USB... you don't necessarily need the ethernet adapter. But it sure makes things convenient.

By the way, if using Emplode, don't use the Alpha versions. Use 2.0 final.

Also, if trying to use USB, make sure to read the release notes about the USB driver install. I think (not sure) those notes might apply to the Rio Central as well as the empeg car.

Also, if you want to grab the ripped songs off of the Rio Central, I think (not sure) that Emplode specifically disables that feature for the Rio Central, while still allowing it on the Rio Car. In that case, give Jemplode a try.

Jemplode is also nice because it has full support for hierarchical playlists on the Central, something that's disabled by default in Emplode (if I recall correctly). In fact, once you start using Jemplode and making hierarchical playlists on the Central, you can't synch with Emplode any more because it will suddenly orphan your playlists if you do.

Me personally? I use one of the supported ethernet adapters, and Jemplode, for everything I do with the Central. It's still my main network music server (for my Rio Receivers) and still my main ripper machine. New CD's get shoved into the Central and then I use Jemplode to copy them over to the PC and to the Empeg Car player.