Originally Posted By: FieroSTi
...and ideally, I'l like to pipe the audio from the XM Direct through the AUX input on the empeg. If that's not possible, it can be fixed via a relay on the empeg/XMD inputs to the amp and a 12V switch, but I'd rather the empeg handle the audio switching, if possible.

Yes - but one step at at time.

Quote:
At any rate, I've got absolutely no Linux coding experience, so any recommendations as to where I should start, haha?

Well, what coding skills do you have? You'll need good C and a linux development box (vmware would do). POSIX should mean something to you. There's no real windowing environment.
If you want to hack the kernel you should be aware of the implications of being in an event loop.

It is 'easy' to write a userspace app that sits on the empeg and does things when you press the buttons/twiddle the knob. You can also write to the screen and access the disk. What more do you need wink

I'm sure it could control the serial port too (you may need to take it away from the player app - maybe even get the kernel to provide another tty interface and a mechanism to switch (just like A: B: floppies sharing a single floppy drive years ago))

I don't know if there is a 'hello world' userspace example. If not then I'm sure someone (including me) will help write one.

However you are very unlikely to find anyone to code it up for you - OTOH, you'll (eventually/usually) get help asking specific questions.

(nb technically you could do it in all kinds of ways - but if you want help then the outline above is most likely to produce support.)