Originally Posted By: wfaulk
Is your argument that you should have to have an encyclopedia in order to determine spelling and pronunciation of the names of prominent individuals?

No, my argument is centered around the need of consulting a dictionary for the meaning of those words. One would generally have to know how to spell something to look it up in a dictionary, though I suppose you can find the word you're looking for by knowing only the first few letters.

An encyclopedia or similar reference book is the more appropriate place for a background on historical figures.

I don't expect to find "George Clooney" or "Paris Hilton" or "Carrot Top" in a dictionary. Though I would expect to find "carrot" and "top" and perhaps "George" and "Paris" if the dictionary included an origin of proper names and world cities.

The Dictionary application built into Mac OS X (Leopard) provides only information on Kings of Britain for "George" - material better suited for a reference volume like an encyclopedia IMO.

There's some handiness to having easy access to this type of information, but where does it end? Where is the line drawn? The dictionary is growing well beyond defining words (units) used in the language.