So, it's only taken me ten years to get around to doing this...I finally got all the pieces I needed to do an install and went out last night in the gloriously crappy New England weather to begin an install way too late, in the dark, with bad light.

http://flickr.com/photos/jonmasters/sets/72157608969180850/

Now all I need to do is figure out how to make the screen more readable in direct sunlight. With the top down, driving into the office today, it was pretty tough reading the display.

Notes (more later):

I had to use a saw on the double DIN adapter because it can't actually take two full-size DIN stereos unless they're flush against their enclosures (which the empeg is not). So yes, the Pioneer doesn't have the flush plate at its sides and could do with minor cosmetic cleanup later. I also spent a full 4 hours trying all manner of options with the steering wheel adapter before finally tapping into the vehicle harness directly. I now have a Pioneer P-5000UB (with USB, etc.) as the primary stereo, and the empeg (250GB) on its rear AUX IN.

I have (for now) given up on using a tuner with the empeg since the idea of splitting the steering wheel control signal was foiled when I finally decided to realize its a resistance that's being sampled smile I'll instead create my own replacement steering wheel protocol adapter "splitter" using a PIC and a bunch of logic, so I can have both stereos receive the input signals. Using the MODE button as a toggle, this will work.

Jon.