Having got my hands on a new toy (1990 Supra 3.0 Turbo) I feel the need to install even more toys inside of it! I haven't done a serious install before so I decided to do this one myself (since it won't be the end of the world if I make some mistakes on an old car).

Comments, suggestions and general advice about my choices would be well received.

I decided to go with a Kicker 405 amp, since Hugo has one in his Beetle and recommended it. It has 4 x 55W and 1 x 290W @ 12.5V, rising to 4 x 75W and 1 x 390W at 14.4V.

The '90 Supra is fitted with 4" components front and rear, and having taken a look at the enclosures I am very nervous about modifying them for larger drivers. The enclosures are very well made and you get a lot more sound out of them than you would expect from a stock system. Therefore I have gone for a pair of Diamond M341 4" drivers for the front. If these sound good (they sound incredible for their size in the showroom) then I'll keep them up front and add some coaxials in the rear, otherwise I'll move the Diamonds to the rear and find some way of fitting 6.5" Infinity Kappa Masters in the front.

The Diamonds come with a crossover which has an additional connection that isn't documented - it's labelled RAF. Any ideas?

The sub is going to be a custom build, which is being designed by our resident experts John & John. It will be based around a 6th order band pass design with either 2 x 10" or 2 x 12" drivers. It's going to be a very odd shape to fit the trunk (which I'm totally sacrificing to the cause) with the drivers mounted vertically and each enclosure ported upwards. I haven't chosen drivers yet as they will be dependent upon the cabinet calculations.

I have a 1F capacitor on order, but I'm not sure if it will really be necessary for this relatively small system.

I've ordered 2.5mm oxygen free cable for the cabin drivers and 4mm for the sub. The line cables are oxygen free 6mm double shield with moulded gold connectors.

I have some ideas for a fun install, involving lots of MDF, some brushed aluminium and a couple of neon tubes. I didn't do any of that stuff when I was a kid so I feel I have to go for it now

So - apart from the neon tubes - what huge mistakes am I about to make?

Rob