Originally Posted By: altman
Originally Posted By: andy
So when I looked at 13:00 it should have been showing a total usage since the last charge of about 5.5 hours. So it looks to me that the real problem is to do with the phone getting confused and deciding not to recharge the battery even when it can.

It doesn't work that way; if power is connected, and the source can be identified (adaptor with the correct ID pins so the phone can determine its current limit - ie any iPod-compatible one, or a host) then the charger is enabled.

Usage only resets on *full* charge - ie, it has to get to something like 98%+ for it to reset the counts.

Understood, but on that day that we are talking about it was on charge for 5 hours over night (and wasn't particularly low on charge before that). So it should have started the day with a full charge.

I'd be interested in seeing the numbers if you didn't plug it in in the car one day

Well one of the days that it happened was when I was at home all day, with no car charger involved and also no 3D (just wifi at home).

from your description it sounds very much like the exchange activesync server it is talking to is misbehaving in some way and keeping waking the unit. This type of thing is kinda annoying as you don't ever "see" the wakes as they're just server activity, even though firing up the 3G data link is kinda costly, power-wise.

The other thing to try would be disabling the activesync mail account for a day as an experiment...

I was thinking about doing it, but the random nature of this problem makes it kind of difficult to reproduce on demand. In the last two weeks it has only happened on 3 days, so I'd have to turn ActiveSync off for two weeks or more to know whether there was any change frown

Nuevasync have had other reports in the past of battery problems, but have never been able to repro them themselves. I guess that either means that:

- they really do have battery issues caused by their ActiveSync implementation
- some of their users have battery issues caused by something else

I'd take it in for an exchange, but I'm really not convinced it is a hardware problem.

Edited by andy (16/02/2009 04:47)