I've been taking a look recently at making payments to people. The default choice for everyone seems to be PayPal, but lots of folks have a variety of issues with PayPal, from policies to fees to money handling issues. Most alternatives, like ProPay, Moneybookers, and Paymate seem to be geared far more towards online merchants than peer payments.

I thought I'd found a solution at Obopay, which basically just charges 25¢ to the payer for each transaction. This sounds like a great plan. Until I found out about their limits. I need to repay Dignan for buying a Mac Mini for me: $500. But Obopay won't let me send more than $75 a day, $100 in 3 days, and $150 a week. So it would take me a month to repay him this way, not to mention that it will cost me $1.75 instead of 25&cent, due to being required to make multiple payments. Supposedly, as one uses the service, the limits will increase, but that doesn't help me now. I even called their customer support, who were friendly, but they said they couldn't/wouldn't increase the limit.

Bruno had mentioned that Canadians can do payments via email by using a feature of their ATM system broker.

I'm curious as to how people do this. I'm actively interested in how to do it in the US, as I have a payment I need to make, and it's starting to look like the best way is to just send him a check in the mail. But it's the 21st century now. There should be a better way. I'm also curious as to how people around the world do this.

Thoughts?

Edited by wfaulk (07/04/2009 15:47)
Edit Reason: $1.75 fee, not $1