Related question:

If I want to watch TV at night, I have to turn the volume down so as to not wake up my daughter. Unfortunately, at that point, the TV is competing with the background noise of the fridge, the air conditioner, and so forth. Clearly, headphones are the answer.

Ahh, but which sort of headphones?

My current receiver has a phono jack, but it's not specified what happens if the source material is Dolby 5.1. How does it construct the stereo downmix? Some newer receivers have Dolby Headphone coding, which I assume tries to create a virtual surround experience. But I'm not aware of any receivers doing Dolby Headphone and A2DP wireless at the same time.

There are some headphones (e.g., Pioneer DIR800C's) that claim to do it all, integrated, but I'd rather use my nice Grado Labs old-school wired headphones, either with some kind of wireless adapter, or just a long cord from the couch to the receiver on the other side (although that could certainly be awkward).

This is all bound up in my eventual migration to Bluray and an HDMI-switching receiver, and that's all waiting until I feel like there's enough content available in Bluray that it's worth the bother.