Originally Posted By: Phoenix42
Can someone explain it? I'm presuming that it is the other colors that are tricking the mind.

Yup. That's what it is.

I was confused until I viewed it magnified. At first glance, it appears as though the orange stripes cross both the green-looking spiral and the blue-looking spiral. But that's not what they've done.

The orange stripes cross the green-looking spiral, but it's the *magenta* stripes that cross the blue-looking spiral. Both spirals are actually green, but the magenta shade "overloads" the color receptors in your eye, shifting that spiral towards the blue end of the spectrum, making it appear cyan instead of green.

If you look closely, you'll even notice that the green-looking spiral appears to have a faint cyan halo at its edges where it touches the magenta stripes.

Quote:
Could it maybe have something to do with how the computer renders the image?

I don't think so. I think if you saw the same image printed in vibrant-enough inks, you'd get the same effect.

Quote:
when it's shrunk that small, all those little in-between lines are lost, and all I see are blue and green spirals on a pink background. When I bring that shrunken image into an image editor, they are definitely green and blue.

That's because it blurs the image as it reduces its size. Blurring the image gives you the same results because the adjacent colors smear together, essentially producing the same effect that the color receptors in your eye are experiencing.