Originally Posted By: gbeer
Originally Posted By: hybrid8
Best Rube Goldberg machine video? OK Go - This Too Shall Pass

There was so much extraneous crap going on it was impossible to follow the chain of cause and effect.

You know, when I first read your comment I thought about it, and I agreed with you despite still liking it.

But I just watched it again, and it really does benefit from repeat viewings. I think the first couple times I was just watching to take it all in. After reading your comment, I went back specifically to look for the cause and effect of each action, and I was able to find it at every stage except for one, but I think it was just slightly off camera**. So that was a rewarding viewing.

**The one place where it looks like they might have cheated was on the end of the level change. It's just not clear what is opening that initial curtain. Everything else, though, has a clear cause and a effect. I think my favorite is the thing that starts off the level change, where the ball starts an electric drill that rotates a wheel that types on a type writer, causing the register to advance and knock over a cup.

*edit*
ps- one thing that makes it easy to spot everything is to watch it at 1080p on a large monitor or a TV. There are some very small reactions that set off the very big set pieces, and that might have made it hard to follow.

Edited by Dignan (03/03/2010 23:02)