I've spent a day in the saddle of a Brompton and it is a nice little bike, surprising really how fast you can get used to it coming from a 'conventional' bike, and the 16" wheels make it quite nimble around town. It feels fast too, yes the acceleration is good but I think some of the effect is the same as the feeling of driving around in a small car. Its a fun bike! Folds fast and is really small too.

Also played around with a friends Dahon Speed Pro TT. 20" fancy wheels and lots of go faster bits, its a fair compromise to a real road bike for someone who must have a folding one. Don't think its hugely better than the Brompton though, didn't feel as meticulously engineered, the larger wheels should mean a slightly better ride, but it didn't have the suspension in the Brompton frame so not really the case. Didn't fold up as nicely or as small so loses on convenience and its even more expensive than the pricey Brompton. Not so great.

My favourite bike of all time has got to be the Moulton. Just completely unbelievable ride quality and comfort for something so fast and effortless to ride. It is like a magic carpet. Also has great build quality and quirky but inspired design. Could well be the nicest bike I've ever ridden. Yes, it was quick like a racer and could seriously be used as one.

Doug, I think you'd like a Moulton. Btw, your Kona Hahole is really nice! A good titanium bike really is for the connoisseur. That frame with those deep rims though, you must need to wear two pairs of shorts and some nicely padded gloves for a long street ride on that thing.