Originally Posted By: mlord
Originally Posted By: EtN
IMHO the real weakness of the Empeg is that people change cars quite often these days

That could be more a weakness in the people, not the player!

With scrappage schemes and punitive taxation for old vehicles (based on emissions, not engine size or power), keeping an old car is becoming increasingly uneconomical in the UK. There are other reasons for changing cars as well, in my case the car was a total loss in an accident (the empeg wasn't there, thank god) so I had to replace it as a matter of course. The Empeg is still the coolest car player ever but many modern cars don't even come with a DIN slot anymore and having something the size of an ipod you can carry in your pocket instead of a fragile brick like the empeg is much, much more convenient. Pity the software of all those devices is still inferior to the empeg. Practical example: At some stage I used the empeg as a home jukebox, but then I switched to an xbox media centre (same use, but it could do video as well, of course). I was shocked to how un-intuitive playlists were compared to the empeg, amongst other things, but the thing had its advantages (bigger and cheaper parallel ATA hard drives, for one, and video) that outweighed the badness of the software. I suppose it's the same with ipods and even more with iphones, where you can have a playback device that you can use on the bus, in the car, to receive calls and surf the internet for a fraction of the empeg's weight.