Originally Posted By: DWallach
The CLP-315W, the successor to my printer, gets pretty shaky reviews

Many times (although not, apparently, in this case) bad reviews are a product of unrealistic expectations.

Samsung is in good part responsible for some of those expectations, for example claiming a preposterous duty cycle of 20,000 pages per month for the CLP-315. Nearly all of the working parts (gears, rollers, etc.) are made out of plastic, and it would be miraculous if that printer ever made it to 20,000 pages before becoming worn out. It is a disposable printer, on sale for $139 at Amazon.com, and anyone expecting heavy usage will be disappointed. My CLP-300 is fine for my use -- a 100 page month would be a big deal. When it finally gives up the ghost, probably after eight or ten thousand pages, I won't complain, I'll just replace it with something similar and know that I paid one penny per page amortizing the original cost of the printer, on top of the 2.6 cents per page for toner. Shopping hint: When looking for a new laser printer, make sure that toner is available from aftermarket suppliers. My CLP-300 costs me $26.00 for a complete set (4 colors) of aftermarket toner, compared to $269 MSRP buying the toner from Samsung.

tanstaafl.