Alrighty... I just sent my PCB to the PCB house to build me a nifty iPod/iPhone interface, now I just have to get the software working to control it. I think that writing an app for userspace would be the way to go... I should (in theory) be able to get track information from the iPhone and control it remotely via it's serial port.

If anyone's interested, the PCB is available from http://www.batchpcb.com/product_info.php...2a36ecf77dbcbb7 for all of $7.44. I will provide schematics and a BOM if anyone wants them. The board hooks directly to an iPod/iPhone, has a switching power supply to charge the thing (1.5A @ 5V), RS-232 tranciever (iPod wants 3.3V), and audio pass-through with de-coupling capacitors... provides USB (for charging), 1/8" stereo jack and headers to wire up a custom build iPod/iPhone cable to charge, get audio, pass RS-232, and install resistors for accessory detection by the iPxx.

Anyway, I've got ~2 weeks until my PCB comes, so it's time to start digging in to some code!