Originally Posted By: msaeger
Microsoft should just stop selling XP if they are going to restrict what you can sell it with. If the "netbook" makers didn't have XP available they would just have to make more capable computers or sell them with a different OS. 1024 x 600 screen resolution is worthless you can't even surf the net with that. Aren't they coming with Windows 7 now anyway ?
Originally Posted By: wfaulk
They want to stop selling it. People don't want to run Vista or 7 on what is likely to be an underpowered computer. So they force the computers to be even more underpowered. Makes sense, right? (No.)

I certainly don't condone limiting netbook specs (I think its awful), but I disagree with some things:

1- While I wish I had a better screen resolution on my MSI Wind, I'm using it right now to browse the web and read my Google Reader items. If I ever feel like I need a little more screen, I can just hit F11 and it's perfectly fine.

2- Bitt, I think running 7 on these devices is a perception problem. Vista actually doesn't do well on netbooks, but Windows 7 is perfectly fine, and runs fantastically on my own netbook. The next round of products are a little more powerful than mine, too.