Originally Posted By: hybrid8
The mobile hotspot app is Verizon's - that's one feature ATT doesn't offer.

But don't you pay for mobile hotspot on their other phones? It bugs me when a feature like that gets included on one phone and not on the others. Again, we're paying for the data, why not let us use it how we want? They didn't talk plan prices at all, did they? I assume it's the same plans available to their other phones, other than the hotspot feature.

Quote:
The phone is non-exclusive so it may very well appear on Sprint next. Perhaps by the time the new iteration is announced in the summer. That would make T-Mo the only one of the 4 major US carriers not to get any love.

I know T-Mobile is the red-headed stepchild, and no I don't think it's essential that they be on that carrier too, but they might as well. It doesn't hurt, and it wouldn't require as big a change as this revision. Prior to today, Android's primary competitive advantage was its presence on all major carriers. The iPhone is, of course, on the biggest two, but there are still subscribers to be had.

Still, this is a pretty big deal. I'll be interested to see how everything plays out, how many AT&T users jump ship, how Android fares on Verizon now, etc. I think Verizon is a much bigger network in my area, and I get a number of people asking me the "when?" question.

I think they'll get a pretty big rush of users, but I think it'll also take a while to tell. For one thing, there's a great many Verizon users who already bought their Android phones because they didn't know the iPhone was coming (yeah, there were rumors, but the WSJ has been rumoring this day for the last two years it seems).